The Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Manual of Tests and Criteria Note 1 have been reissued. Rev.6 was reissued again as Rev.6 (reissued on 17-02-2016) and Section 38.3 “testing criteria of lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries” has been amended due to some contradictions in the first published document.
[Main revision point of Section 38.3]
T2 thermal cycle test: The temperature of the higher temperature side has been changed from 75±2°C to 72±2°C.
TÜV Rheinland is able to carry out tests based on the reissued Rev.6. Moreover, it continues to carry out tests based on Rev.5 Amendment 1 and Amendment 2. Please contact us when these tests are required.
The initial document of Rev.6 before the Reissue is no longer available. For changes between the current Version of Rev.6 (reissued on 17-02-2016) and the initially published one, please refer to the below:
UN Manual of Tests and Criteria
Amendment 2 to the fifth revised edition
ST/SG/AC.10/11/Rev.6 February 2016
- 3) Section 38.3 , paragraph 184.108.40.206, definition of Single cell battery : Delete the square brackets around externally
- 4) Section 38.3, paragraph 220.127.116.11, definition of “Large cell” : For 12kg read 500g
- 5) Section 38.3, paragraph 38.3.3(e) : For cells and component read cells and component cells
- 6) Section 38.3, paragraph 18.104.22.168.2 : For 75±2℃ read 72±2℃
- 7) Section 38.3, paragraph 22.214.171.124.3 : For each test cell or battery after testing in its perpendicular mounting read each test cell or battery directly after testing in its third perpendicular mounting
- 8) Section 38.3, paragraph 126.96.36.199.2, Figure 188.8.131.52 : For the existing Figure, substitute