TÜV Rheinland Blog - Insights from Asia and Africa

How to Prepare Yourself for Japan’s Certification Schemes

Posted by TUV Rheinland on Apr 4, 2018 12:08:08 PM
TUV Rheinland

Japan has had moderate economic growth over the last three decades and is among the world's largest and most technologically advanced producers of motor vehicles, electronic equipment, machine tools, steel and nonferrous metals, ships, chemicals, textiles, and processed foods. In 2016, U.S. exported over $63B to Japan¹.


What should you know ahead of time about Japan?

Japan can be a challenging market for manufacturers. Many who are familiar with European regulations find they are ill prepared for the Japanese regulations. As with other countries, try to understand Japanese regulation as much as possible. Japan's certification scheme is different from most, especially compared to European or U.S. requirements. Because Japan has many different schemes, it is best for the client to contact their point of contact or project handler to make sure that the product is in scope. If it is and fits into one scheme, your project handler will be able to provide the best information to move forward.
Japan TUEVRL-37441low.jpgGlobal Technology Assessment Center, Yokohama, Japan

There are 2 governing agencies to be aware of:

  • METI (Japan Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry) has jurisdiction over a broad policy area, containing Japan's industrial/trade policies, energy security, "Cool Japan", etc. METI is known for its liberal atmosphere and officials of METI have been well known for their excellence.
  • The MIC (Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications) oversees the Radio Law ensuring efficient use of radio devices and to protect against wireless interference. If your product has a radio in it, you will require Japan radio certification. TUV Rheinland of North America can offer our clients testing and reporting so they do not have to ship samples overseas for testing.


Japan Safety

DENAN law in Japan categorizes all products into Category A, B and out of scope. It is best to check with your local project handler to see which category your product will fall under.

Under Category A, the client will need to obtain a “certificate of conformity” by a registered conformity assessment body (RCAB) authorized by METI. An example of Category A would be power adapters or PDUs. If your product falls under DENAN Category A you will be required to have a DENAN factory inspection as well.

Under Category B, it is not necessary to obtain a COC but there is an obligation to conform to the technical requirements stipulated by the ordinance. Self-verification can be done by the manufacturer. You must remember to note that the Japan deviations will be mandatory in your CB report.

Please see marks below for Category A and Category B:


Japan Safety labels.jpg


What are the best practices and tips companies should consider?

Look for a test house and/or certification body that is well respected with a good reputation, and that offers great quality of work and customer service. Lead time, price and good customer service are the most important factors to consider for market access for Japan.

TUV is an accredited LAB and certification body for Safety and Radio. Globally, TUV Rheinland owns 4 RCAB (Registered Conformity Assessment Bodies). It has wider product scope and offers faster and more streamlined services.

Are you a retail manufacturer? To find out more, speak with our experts: 

Contact us now


Topics: Market Access